HARRY SF & Fantasy Club
Canton, Ohio, USA
Are you looking for a friendly science fiction and fantasy club in the Canton, Ohio area? You found one! The name of the club is Harry, and you can find out more by reading on...
Harry's Meeting Schedule.
Where is Harry?
When is Harry?
What is Harry?
Harry has a mailing list on the web. Take the plunge and join the Harry Mailing list!...
Harry meets once a month at the North Branch of the Stark County District Library. The North Branch is the library at 189 - 25th Street NW, just east of Malone College, in Canton, Ohio, USA.
MEETINGS ARE HELD AT 6:30 PM ON THE THIRD MONDAY OF THE MONTH, AND LAST
ABOUT 90 MINUTES. PLEASE VISIT US!
Click to jaunt to Harry's Meeting Schedule.
Harry has always found meeting space at the Stark
County District Library. Harry's meetings are very informal. At each meeting, the members discuss a book,
movie, TV episode, or short story that was chosen at a previous meeting. Unlike some book clubs, we do
not follow any predetermined list of discussion questions. We just converse. We don't always stay on
topic, but we do try to stick to the topic for about 15 minutes at least.
Sometimes an author visits, or we have some other special presentation.
schedule of coming events below.)
Members who have attended conventions since the last meeting give informal
con reports. Party plans are made. Usually by the end of the meeting, we've
built up a good head of steam & go out for ice cream.
Harry was founded January, 1977. We hear that's a pretty long time for
a science fiction club to be around. Read The Compleat
History Of Harry pages to find out what you've been missing.
Harry has a great core group of active members, with an extended family
of about 40 souls. We have no dues, no officers or politics, and no requirements
for membership other than attendance.
meetings & other events of interest:
REMEMBER, HARRY'S MONTHLY MEETINGS ARE ALWAYS THE 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH.
ALL MEETINGS ARE FROM 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM.
HARRY MEETS AT THE NORTH BRANCH LIBRARY (except in January and February), THE 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH, AT 6:30 PM.
HARRY IN THE YEAR 2018
WINTER READING SEASON
- JANUARY 2018 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed for the Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr..
- JANUARY 2018 - (Party at M+D's) Topic: Fall and Winter TV and Movies.
- PARTY! Harry's 41st Anniversary. Mike's Family Kitchen.
- FEBRUARY 2018 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed.
- FEBRUARY 2018 - (Party at a Member's Home) Topic: The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth #2), by N. K. Jemisin, the Hugo winning novel as determined by 2017's Worldcon
- MARCH 19TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: Artemis, by Andy Weir.
SPRING READING SEASON
- APRIL 16TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1), by John Scalzi, an Ohio SF author.
- MAY 21ST 2018 MEETING - Topic: The stories of Ohio author Marie Vibbert.
- JUNE 18TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: Classics Revisited! A Wrinkle In Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. Read the book, watch the movie!
SUMMER READING SEASON
- JULY 16TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: A Nebula Award (actually the Andre Norton prize) winner from last year. Arabella of Mars is by David Levine.
- 2018's WorldCon is Worldcon 76 in San Jose, California.
The 76th World Science Fiction Convention will choose the works that Harry will read for the December 2018 and February 2019 meetings.
- AUGUST 20TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: Conflict of Honors, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. A novel of the Liaden universe.
- PARTY! Star Trek's Birthday Party.
- SEPTEMBER 17TH 2018 MEETING - Summer Movie and TV Season. Also, planning the 2019 Harry Season.
AUTUMN READING SEASON
- OCTOBER 15TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: Our scary October topic is the Nebula winning novel Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.
- PARTY! Harry Halloween
- NOVEMBER 19TH 2018 MEETING - Topic: The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.
- DECEMBER 17TH 2018 Meeting - Meeting topic will be the winner of the Hugo Award for Best Short Story announced at Worldcon.
- PARTY! Harry Holidays?
Distant Early Warning Lines - 2019 and Beyond
- JANUARY 2019 - The Stark County District Library is closed on the 3rd Monday in January for the holiday.
- FEBRUARY 2019 - The topic of discussion will be the winner of Best Novel Hugo Award at the 2018 Worldcon.
- Worldcon 2019 - Dublin. Dublin 2019 An Irish Worldcon is the website.
- NASfic 2019 - Utah is bidding.
- Worldcon 2020 - New Zealand is bidding.
- Worldcon 2021 - DC is bidding.
Compleat History of Harry.
HARRY: LIVE SINCE 1995 ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB!
Updated 27JAN2018 by M+D email mdpierocarey at yahoodotcom
To M+D's Home Page