HARRY SF & Fantasy Club
Canton, Ohio, USA
Are you looking for a friendly science fiction and fantasy club in the Canton, Ohio area? You found one! The name of the club is Harry, and you can find out more by reading on...
Harry's Meeting Schedule.
Where is Harry?
When is Harry?
What is Harry?
Harry has a mailing list on the web. Take the plunge and join the Harry Mailing list!...
Harry meets once a month at the North Branch of the Stark County District Library. The North Branch is the library at 189 - 25th Street NW, just east of Malone College, in Canton, Ohio, USA.
MEETINGS ARE HELD AT 6:30 PM ON THE THIRD MONDAY OF THE MONTH, AND LAST
ABOUT 90 MINUTES. PLEASE VISIT US!
Click to jaunt to Harry's Meeting Schedule.
Harry has always found meeting space at the Stark
County District Library. Harry's meetings are very informal. At each meeting, the members discuss a book,
movie, TV episode, or short story that was chosen at a previous meeting. Unlike some book clubs, we do
not follow any predetermined list of discussion questions. We just converse. We don't always stay on
topic, but we do try to stick to the topic for about 15 minutes at least.
Sometimes an author visits, or we have some other special presentation.
schedule of coming events below.)
Members who have attended conventions since the last meeting give informal
con reports. Party plans are made. Usually by the end of the meeting, we've
built up a good head of steam & go out for ice cream.
Harry was founded January, 1977. We hear that's a pretty long time for
a science fiction club to be around. Read The Compleat
History Of Harry pages to find out what you've been missing.
Harry has a great core group of active members, with an extended family
of about 40 souls. We have no dues, no officers or politics, and no requirements
for membership other than attendance.
meetings & other events of interest:
REMEMBER, HARRY'S MONTHLY MEETINGS ARE ALWAYS THE 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH.
ALL MEETINGS ARE FROM 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM.
HARRY MEETS AT THE NORTH BRANCH LIBRARY (except in January and February), THE 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH, AT 6:30 PM.
HARRY IN THE YEAR 2019
WINTER READING SEASON
- JANUARY 2019 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed for the Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr..
- JANUARY 2019 - (Party at M+D's) Topic: Fall and Winter TV and Movies.
- PARTY! Harry's 42nd Anniversary. Burntwood Tavern Belden Village.
- FEBRUARY 2018 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed.
- FEBRUARY 2019 - (Party at a Member's Home) Topic: The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth #3), by N. K. Jemisin, the Hugo winning novel as determined by 2018's Worldcon.
- MARCH 1-3 Cleveland Concoction.
- MARCH 19TH 2019 MEETING - Topic: Beyond This Horizon, by Robert A. Heinlein. This novel won the Retro Hugo at the 2018 Worldcon.
SPRING READING SEASON
- APRIL 15 2019 MEETING - Topic: Year Zero , by Rob Reid.
- MAY 20 2019 MEETING - Topic: Genevieve Cogman's _The Invisible Library_ .
- JUNE 17 2019 MEETING - Topic: Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's _Roadside Picnic_ [1972 in Russian; 1977 and later in English translations].
SUMMER READING SEASON
- Maybe a Summer Party?
- NASFiC 2019, aka Spikecon, is July 4-7 in Layton, Utah. https://www.spikecon.org .
- JULY 15 2019 MEETING - Topic: Bob Proehl's _A Hundred Thousand Worlds_ .
- Worldcon 2019 - Dublin. Dublin 2019 An Irish Worldcon is the website. The 77th World Science Fiction Convention will choose the works that Harry will read for the December 2019 and February 2020 meetings.
- AUGUST 2019 MEETING - Topic: CLASSICS REVISITED! Gregory Benford's _Timescape_  (Nebula and Campbell winner), and its sequel _Rewrite: Loops in the Timescape_ .
- PARTY! Star Trek's Birthday Party.
- SEPTEMBER 16 2019 MEETING - Summer Movie and TV Season. Also, planning the 2020 Harry Season.
AUTUMN READING SEASON
- OCTOBER 2019 MEETING - Topic: Our October topic will be something scary, to be determined by the membership.
- PARTY! Harry Halloween
- NOVEMBER 2019 MEETING - Topic: Another great SF and F work to be determined by the membership.
- DECEMBER 2019 Meeting - Meeting topic will be whatever short story is the winner of the Hugo Award for Best Short Story announced at Worldcon in Dublin.
- PARTY! Harry Holidays?
Distant Early Warning Lines - 2020 and Beyond
WINTER READING SEASON
- JANUARY 2020 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed for the Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr..
- PARTY! Harry's 43nd Anniversary. Eatery TBD.
- FEBRUARY 2020 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed.
- FEBRUARY 2020 - (Party at a Member's Home) Topic: The Hugo winning novel as determined by 2019's Worldcon in Dublin.
- MARCH 2020 MEETING - Topic: TBD.
SPRING READING SEASON
- Worldcon 2020 - New Zealand.
- Worldcon 2021 - DC is bidding.
Compleat History of Harry.
HARRY: LIVE SINCE 1995 ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB!
Updated 01MAR2019 by M+D email mdpierocarey at yahoodotcom
To M+D's Home Page