HARRY SF & Fantasy Club
Canton, Ohio, USA
Are you looking for a friendly science fiction and fantasy club in the Canton, Ohio area? You found one! The name of the club is Harry, and you can find out more by reading on...
Harry's Meeting Schedule.
Where is Harry?
When is Harry?
What is Harry?
Harry has a mailing list on the web. Take the plunge and join the Harry Mailing list!...
Harry meets once a month. We usually hold our monthly meeting courtesy of the North Branch of the Stark County District Library. The North Branch is the library at 189 - 25th Street NW, just east of Malone University, in Canton, Ohio, USA.
REGULAR MEETINGS ARE HELD JANUARY THRU DECEMBER AT 6:30 PM ON THE THIRD MONDAY OF THE MONTH AND LAST ABOUT 90 MINUTES. PLEASE VISIT US!
Click to jaunt to Harry's Meeting Schedule.
Harry has always found meeting space at the Stark
County District Library . Harry's meetings are very informal. At each meeting, the members discuss a book,
movie, TV episode, or short story that was chosen at a previous meeting. Unlike some book clubs, we do
not follow any predetermined list of discussion questions. We just converse. We don't always stay on
topic, but we do try to stick to the topic for as long as we keep each other interested.
Sometimes an author visits, or we have some other special presentation.
schedule of coming events below.)
Members who have attended conventions since the last meeting give informal
con reports. Party plans are made. Usually by the end of the meeting, we've
built up a good head of steam & go out for ice cream.
Harry was founded January, 1977. We hear that's a pretty long time for
a science fiction club to be around. Read The Compleat
History Of Harry pages to find out what you've been missing.
Harry has a great core group of active members, with an extended family
of about 40 souls. We have no dues, no officers or politics, and no requirements
for membership other than attendance.
meetings & other events of interest:
REMEMBER, HARRY'S MONTHLY MEETINGS ARE ALWAYS THE 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH.
HARRY MEETS ON THE 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH, AT 6:30 PM, USUALLY AT NORTH BRANCH.
!-- *************************************************** -->
The Reading Seasons of 2022
WINTER 2022 READING SEASON
- JANUARY 2022 - North Branch is always closed for the Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
- JANUARY 17, 2022 MEETING - Meeting topic: The winner of the Hugo Award for Best Short Story announced at Discon 3, the DC Worldcon. This is Metal Like Blood in the Dark by T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine, September/October 2020). Available online at https://uncannymagazine.com/article/metal-like-blood-in-the-dark/. The Harry meeting will be held at M+D's (a members' home).
- PARTY! Harry's 45th Anniversary. Harry always meets at a restaurant for a meal, but when this year? Date & Eatery TBD.
- FEBRUARY 2022 - Our regular meeting place at North Branch is closed for the federal holiday.
- FEBRUARY 21, 2022 MEETING - The topic is Local author Marie Vibbert's novel Galactic Hellcats . Due to the holiday library closure, the meeting will be held at Sandi's (a member's home). This meeting may change location.
- March no-convention: Cleveland Concoction announced it is not safe to have an in person convention this year.
- MARCH 21, 2022 MEETING - Topic: Network Effect, a novel by Martha Wells. It's the Hugo winning novel as determined by Discon in 2021. We plan to meet at 6:30 PM, North Branch Stark County District Library.
SPRING 2022 READING SEASON
- APRIL 2022 MEETING - The Wanderers, a novel by Chuck Wendig. We plan to meet at 6:30 PM, North Branch Stark County District Library.
- May convention: Marcon. May 6-8, 2022. Marcon 57 Pre-Reg is now open.
- MAY 2022 MEETING - Topic: Penric's Demon and the Penric series in general. Major spoilers OK on Book One. These books comprise Lois McMaster Bujold's recent fantasy series. We plan to meet at 6:30 PM, North Branch Stark County District Library.
- MAY 22nd - Canton Symphony Orchestra concert A Planet's Odyssey.
- JUNE 2022 MEETING - TOPIC: Cherie Priest's novel Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century #1) might be described as a great representation of Steampunk.
SUMMER 2022 READING SEASON
- Maybe a Summer Party?
- JULY 2022 MEETING - A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by the mysterious T. Kingfisher. A fantasy novel. We plan to meet at 6:30 PM, North Branch Stark County District Library.
- JULY 29-31, 2022 Confluence.
- AUGUST 2022 MEETING - Topic: How Much For Just the Planet? a novel by John M. Ford. Reading this will be a great warmup for Star Trek Day. A copy is circulating among members. We plan to meet at 6:30 PM, North Branch Stark County District Library.
- September 1-5, 2022. The 80th Worldcon - Chicago. chicon.org. Harry traditionally selects meeting topics from works which receive a Hugo Award at Worldcon.
- Star Trek's Birthday.
- SEPTEMBER 2022 MEETING - By tradition, the topic is the Summer Movie and TV Season. Also, planning the 2023 Harry schedule.
AUTUMN 2022 READING SEASON
- OCTOBER 2022 - Be very afraid! Harry's October topic is usually something scary. If you dare, read "Open House on Haunted Hill" by John Wiswell. We plan to meet at 6:30 PM, North Branch Stark County District Library.
- NOVEMBER 2022 MEETING - To Be Announced.
- DECEMBER 2022 Meeting - Meeting topic: The winner of the Hugo Award for Best Short Story announced at Chicon 8, the Chicago Worldcon.
Distant Early Warning Lines - 2023 and Beyond
- JANUARY 2023 MEETING - Harry's traditional January Topic: Fall and Winter TV and Movies. Location of meeting TBD.
- Worldcon 2023 - The 81st Worldcon will be held in Chengdu, China from August 23-29. https://www.worldconinchina.com/. Harry traditionally selects meeting topics from works which receive a Hugo Award at Worldcon.
- Glasgow is bidding for Worldcon 2024. https://glasgow2024.org. Harry traditionally selects meeting topics from works which receive a Hugo Award at Worldcon.
Compleat History of Harry.
HARRY: LIVE SINCE 1995 ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB!
Updated 18JAN2022 by M+D email mdpierocarey at yahoodotcom
To M+D's Home Page
Harry thanks Our Meeting Location Since 1977
STARK COUNTY DISTRICT LIBRARY